Friday, April 27, 2012

Death and Resurrection

Today the piano guy came back to put the solution around the tuning pins.  That solution has to sit and seep into the wood for about two weeks before he can do other work on it.  He took apart the piano in more pieces than I imagined there were!  And we found a mouse's nest.  I got a paper towel and took it out and vacuumed the mouse poop out for him.  He said, "It's not your average woman who would be willing to do that.  Did you grow up on a farm?"  Ha.  I said, "Yes, practically.  And I'm a nurse so that's one of the less disgusting things I've handled."  I made pesto sauce from scratch while he worked and then sat on the couch and chatted with him while he finished applying the solution.  He is scheduled to come back May 10 to continue the restoration process.  In 80-90% of the cases the solution works to give the pins something to grab on to so they can be properly tightened.  He said our pins are so loose that they are practically turning by themselves.  If the solution doesn't work it won't be worth the money to fix the rest of the piano and we will get rid of it.  He said in his 39 years of fixing/tuning pianos that only one hasn't responded to the solution and the couple took the guts of the piano and made a headboard for their bed out of it.  If you want to hear a video of what the piano sounds like before anything was done to it then you will need to go to: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151422297462923
It's a public video so no login is needed.
If you don't want to go through the pain of commenting on this site and you don't have FB then you can just email me :)
 Yesterday I went to the local library which is about two or three blocks away and I got a library card!  I rented a movie called Songcatcher.  If you like bluegrass or mountain music and love the Appalachias you will enjoy this movie.  There is a minor amount of upper body nudity and some mild language if you're considering it for the family.  But great music and a good story.  In other news, Jake and I went swing dancing this Tuesday night.  That was fun!  Jake is really limbering up and looking like a dancer!  He even caught a glance of himself in the mirror and said, "Hey!  Look at me!  I look like I'm really dancing!" 

Pictures of the piano

This is the piano with just the two front panels taken off.  I took these off before he got here to do his work.

This is the piano, disemboweled and laid to rest, so to speak.

Side shot of the piano.  The thing on the ground to the left, in front of the bookcase, is the part with all the hammers.  The piano tuner took that with him so he could work on it.

Some of the wooden exterior pieces being stored in our bedroom.  I bet this took some pounds off the old behemoth!

This is the cool contraption he used to single-handedly put the piano on it's back.



No comments:

Post a Comment